Migraines aren’t your typical headaches. They can cause immense head pain and make it difficult to complete routine tasks. Instead of suffering through constant migraine attacks, seek help from a professional.
Finding a neurologist for migraines can help you manage the pain and improve your quality of life. Neurologists are doctors specializing in treating and diagnosing issues with the nervous system. They often see patients with neurological conditions, neuromuscular disorders, spinal cord disorders, and headaches.
What Does a Neurologist in NYC Do?
Migraines are a neurological disorder, making them a common condition treated by neurologists. Since neurologists specialize in this area, they can accurately diagnose a migraine while ruling out other potential conditions.
In addition to diagnoses, neurologists can recommend treatments or medications to help you control migraine attacks. Over-the-counter drugs like acetaminophen don’t always cut it when it comes to migraine headaches. Neurologists have immense knowledge about neurological conditions and effective treatment options, so they can help you overcome migraine struggles.
When It’s Time to Call the Doctor
Everyone has an occasional headache, but when should you call a doctor for professional help?
Migraines often come with additional symptoms that can impact your daily life. If any of the following situations apply, it’s time to find a neurologist for your migraine:
- The headache begins in the early morning.
- Your vision is changing.
- Your headache lasts more than two days.
- Straining worsens the headache.
- Your headaches come with seizures.
- Over-the-counter medications do not help relieve headache pains.
- You have chronic headaches and are over 50 years old.
- You started experiencing headaches right after receiving an injury.
When Is It an Emergency?
If you notice any of the above issues, you could wait a couple of days to see a doctor. However, certain issues indicate more severe problems that require emergency attention, such as:
- You vomit, are dizzy, have blurred vision, or lose consciousness while having a headache.
- You have a stiff neck or fever following a sudden headache.
- You lose control over speech, body parts, or vision while having a headache.
- The headache causes immense pain, worse than you have ever experienced.
It is vital to seek emergency help if you experience any of these as they could indicate serious health issues like meningitis or stroke.
What Happens During an Appointment with a Neurologist in NYC?
Seeing a neurologist for migraines is like seeing any other doctor. They start with a physical examination to test your muscle strength and rule out other potential conditions. In addition, they perform a neurological exam.
During your first appointment, your neurologist will ask a series of questions to get a better picture of your medical history and current migraine problems. Understanding your medical history is crucial, as it can often point to the reason for your migraine.
In some cases, a neurologist will order additional tests to rule out other physical or neurological conditions. Common tests neurologists perform include:
- CT scans review structural problems like tumors or bleeding.
- MRIs are often routine after head injuries and can reveal tumors or structural abnormalities.
- EEGs are tests that measure brain waves and can detect brain disorders like epilepsy.
- Spinal taps, or lumbar punctures, can detect infections, tumors, and various disorders.
In addition to these, your neurologist may also perform an eye exam, additional imaging tests, or blood tests.
What to Tell Your Doctor
A neurologist is a doctor specializing in a specific field, so they know which questions to ask and what symptoms to look for. However, they also rely on their patients to tell them essential information to provide a more accurate diagnosis.
To ensure your doctor has all the information they need, be sure to tell them the following:
- When and how often your headaches occur
- If you are sensitive to light or sounds while having a headache
- If you have headaches during your menstrual cycle (this is only applicable to women)
- What foods you eat before having a headache
- Any previous headache diagnoses
- What you were doing when your headaches started
Giving your doctor a clear picture of your current health situation along with a detailed medical history helps them determine the cause of your migraines and a viable solution.
How a Migraine Specialist Near Me Makes Diagnoses and Treats Migraines
A neurologist relies on your medical history, current symptoms, and test results to make a diagnosis. After, they will recommend a treatment to help you manage the symptoms and control migraine attacks.
Your treatment will vary depending on several factors, such as your age, the severity of your headaches, symptoms, and current medical conditions. Generally, neurologists use the following treatment options to help migraine patients:
- Encouraging lifestyle changes to help manage stress
- Prescription medications
- Alternative medicine
If you find that the recommended treatment does not help, your neurologist may suggest something else. In addition, they may ask you to schedule follow-up appointments to track your progress and check your neurological health.
Migraine Neurologist Near Me: Neuro Injury Care Institute
Migraines are a chronic condition that affects thousands of Americans. Fortunately, patients can find remission with the help of experienced and knowledgeable neurologists.
Understanding your symptoms and potential causes is crucial to getting a more accurate diagnosis and receiving the treatment you need.
At Neuro Injury Care Institute in New York, we believe that everyone deserves access to the healthcare they need. We understand that migraines are more than headaches; they can impact other parts of your life and make it difficult to get through the day.
Our board-certified neurologists have ample experience helping migraine patients find relief. We take the time to listen to your concerns, understand your symptoms, and explain your treatment options. Our goal is to help you find relief by gaining control of migraine attacks and preventing them from upsetting your life.
Finding a qualified and compassionate neurologist for your migraines is essential to finding relief. Fortunately, the medical professionals at Neuro Injury Care Institute are here for you.