More than 6 million auto accidents occur in the United States each year. Broken bones, fractures, neck injuries, head injuries, and soft tissue injuries are all common after a car accident. However, the injuries you sustain in a car accident are far more serious and long-lasting than you realize. Seeking the assistance of a neurologist and a car accident doctor in Brooklyn is critical to ensuring an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
How Do Car Accidents Affect the Neurological System?
Injuries from a car accident can cause severe trauma to a victim’s nervous system. A car accident’s trauma can stretch, sever, compress, or crush the nerves. Some nerves may become so stretched that they become partially or completely detached from the spinal cord.
Herniated discs can aggravate pain and cause back spasms, while broken or dislocated bones can compress nearby nerves. In addition to numbness and neck pain, nervous system injuries can impair your motor skills.
A concussion can result from a head injury sustained in a car accident. This type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) can occur as a result of a blow to the head or a violent hit that causes the head and brain to move rapidly back and forth.
If you have suffered a neurological injury in a car or at work, do not rely on primary care doctors. Without proper and timely treatment, neurological injuries can result in ongoing pain and degenerative diseases. The symptoms will only worsen, so make an appointment as soon as possible with a no-fault car accident doctor in downtown Brooklyn, NY.
What are the Symptoms of Neurological Injury?
Symptoms of a neurological injury can vary, but some are warning signs of serious problems. You must pay attention to these symptoms if you are involved in an accident and seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Such symptoms include;
- General weakness: There is a distinction between weakness caused by an injury and weakness caused by a neurological problem. If you are having difficulty moving your seemingly unharmed arm, make an appointment with a no-fault accident injury lawyer right away.
- Numbness or tingling in the extremities: Following a car accident in Brooklyn, NY, this symptom is always associated with neurological issues. An injury to the neck or head can compress or injure nerves, causing numbness, tingling, or burning in your extremities.
- Bladder issues: It’s yet another sign that you need to see a no-fault accident doctor in Brooklyn, NY. This is especially true if you were not injured in the torso or pelvis. Urinary incontinence immediately following a car accident is a sign of traumatic brain injury.
- Involuntary twitching or spasms: Muscle spasms can be caused by physical trauma that causes brain or nerve damage. Seek medical attention right away if you notice this symptom.
- Vision problems: optic nerve damage is one of the most common auto accident injuries. This can result in double vision, trouble seeing with one eye or even blindness without proper medical care.
What Can Brooklyn Injury Doctors Do For Your TBI?
To aid recovery, a team of car accident doctors, including a primary care physician, will collaborate with a physical therapist, pain management specialists, spine surgeons, chiropractic examiners, and others.
Primary care and physical therapy are both beneficial. However, ignoring the importance of seeing a neurologist may impede the healing process. Chronic pain and degenerative diseases can result from neurological injuries. Refusing treatment may also encourage the insurance company to deny coverage for your car accident injuries.
Seeing a no-fault neurologist will allow for an accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment that addresses your concerns. The right doctor will perform neurological tests, such as MRI scans and hearing, balance, vision, and reflex tests. There will also be follow-up appointments to check for any delayed symptoms.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, your treatment plan may include pain management, back surgery, or chiropractic care. As soon as you leave the emergency room, contact a no-fault doctor for a proper evaluation and immediate treatment.
Victim of Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries? Visit Us for Auto or Work-Related Treatment in Brooklyn, NY
Our Brooklyn injury doctors are dedicated to preventing secondary injuries and advocating on behalf of our patients. We focus on both primary and secondary prevention to ensure that injured workers and car accident victims recover completely.
Call Neuro Injury Care Institute at (347) 602-9530 today to set up a free consultation with one of our doctors and get started on the road to recovery.